Yoga is a group exercise class that we offer at our Amityville gym several times a week. Yoga has been around for over 5,000 years and has been shown to offer many health benefits but is also used as a form of mediation and relaxation. Most of our classes focus on learning physical poses, called asanas. The benefits of yoga classes in Amityville include developing your flexibility, strength and balance.
Flexibility from YogaYou are never too old to start doing yoga which is why many seniors enjoy the benefits of the classes. Unbeknownst to most people, yoga does not necessitate that you stretch like a gymnast. Yoga seeks to help you safely stretch your muscles to release the lactic acids that build up with muscle use. Stretching these muscles properly can help you to relieve feelings of stiffness, tension, pain and fatigue caused by the day-to-day activities of life. It can also help to increase the range of motion and increase the lubrication within the joints. After a few sessions you may benefit from a sense of ease and fluidity throughout your body.
Strength from YogaYoga is also known to provide strength and endurance benefits. The various poses, such as downward dog, upward dog, and the plank pose, build upper-body strength. Strength can also be built in the hamstrings, quadriceps, abs, lower back and core. The increased flexibility and strength developed from yoga workouts can also improve posture as enhanced core strength makes you more likely to stand and sit tall.
Other Benefits of YogaThe benefits of yoga go on and on. Yoga also helps with the following:
- Breathing- the mindful breathing involved has been shown to improve lung capacity
- Stress- even the most novice yoga students can experience feelings of relaxation through the meditation techniques of yoga
- Concentration- many students report that yoga helps them to focus mentality and also puts them in a better mood
- Heart- yoga has been shown to lower blood pressure and slow the heart rate
- Aging- yoga has a positive effect on learning and the memory. It also has been shown to slow the aging process and improve energy levels